WHO’S WHO? MCAR, GRAR, MichRIC, SWMRIC, GLR and those other acronyms!
We know all of these acronyms can get really confusing and the who’s who in the real estate world only adds to it. Let’s see if we can help clear things up:
MCAR: Montcalm County Association of Realtors®
Part of being a Realtor® is belonging to the state, national and local Associations. MCAR is that third piece for you. As a primary Realtor® Member, which is the majority of our membership, you pay your state, national and local dues here. MCAR is currently also where you would obtain MLS and Supra services. As of January 1st, 2018, we have 62 Primary Realtor® Members and 5 Secondary Realtor® Members (Brokers who belong to multiple Associations) and 25 Affiliate Members (our business partners: lenders, title companies, appraisal companies, etc….).
Some quick tips about MCAR what who we are (in no particular order):
- MCAR is almost 56 years old;
- Membership year is July 1 to June 30 but we accept applications throughout the year- No application fee;
- Equal owners of MichRIC with equal votes (see below) with an active MLS Committee to continuously review rules that affect your data in the MLS;
- Members only Facebook group;
- Members of the Great Lakes Repository;
- Members of the West Michigan Regional Form Group;
- Annual West Michigan Whitecaps and Grand Rapids Griffins Member Appreciation Outings;
- MCAR annual Awards: Rookie of the Year, Distinguished Service, Realtor® of the Year and Affiliate of the year;
- Annual Spring continued education event and Elections General Membership Meeting in October; Awards General Membership Meeting in December.
- New (and constantly improving/getting updated) website: www.miHOMEsource.com;
- A local voice for local issues;
- Secondary Broker Program;
- Supra Electronic Lockbox System;
GRAR: Greater Regional Alliance of Realtors®, formerly Grand Rapids Association of Realtors®
Another local Association, just like MCAR. They are quite a large Association with 2,954 members as of 1/1/18 and offer similar programs and events. As mentioned below, they too are equal owners of MichRIC, LLC. It’s important to note that although GRAR has significantly more members than MCAR, at the MichRIC, LLC table, each Association has two votes.
MichRIC: Michigan Regional Information Center LLC, formerly SWMRIC or Southwest Michigan Regional Information Center
The Michigan Regional Information Center, LLC is EQUALLY owned by the following 11 Member Associations and their respective Multiple Listing Systems:
- Battle Creek Area Association of REALTORS®
- Branch County Association of REALTORS®
- Greater Regional Alliance of Realtors®, formerly Grand Rapids Association of REALTORS®
- Greater Kalamazoo Association of REALTORS®
- Hillsdale County Board of REALTORS®
- Mason Oceana Manistee Board of REALTORS®
- Montcalm County Association of REALTORS®
- REIS of Southwestern Michigan
- St. Joseph County Association of REALTORS®
- West Central Association of REALTORS®
- West Michigan Lakeshore Association of REALTORS®
As of April 1st, there were 6,973 MichRIC users. I’ve heard that many people refer their clients to GRAR.com (they changed their name, but kept their domain), but DID YOU KNOW that MichRIC’s website: http://www.michric.org/ was built off GRAR’s site? It has a fully functioning (and really nice and simple) public facing website that’s great to search ALL MichRIC data and ALL of it’s Realtors®.
MichRIC is certified at the Silver 1.5 level for the RESO Data Dictionary (Real Estate Standards Organization). “RESO develops, promotes and maintains, through an open process, voluntary electronic commerce standards for the real estate industry. As a standards setting organization involving the participation of competitors, RESO is committed to full compliance with all laws and regulations and to maintaining the highest ethical standards in the way is conduces its operations and activities.”
All MichRIC Members Associations/MLSs, including MCAR, govern and enforce their data according to their local market, needs and concerns.
FlexMLS is the VENDOR or VEHICLE that houses the MLS data from the 11 Associations. When you go to www.ric.flexmls.com, you are logging into MichRIC’s portion of the data in their company.
GLR: Great Lakes Repository
The GLR participants include the following (13) Members:
- Ann Arbor Area Board of REALTORS®
- Branch County Association of REALTORS®
- Down River Association of REALTORS®
- East Central Association of REALTORS®
- Hillsdale County Board of REALTORS® – Part owner of MichRIC
- Jackson Area Association of REALTORS®
- Greater Shiawassee Association of REALTORS®
- Lenawee County Association of REALTORS®
- MiRealSource Multiple Listing Service
- Montcalm County Board of REALTORS® – Part owner of MichRIC
- Monroe County Association of REALTORS®
- Saginaw Board of REALTORS®
- Realcomp II Ltd.
Realcomp II Ltd. is owned by the following eight (8) Shareholder Boards and/or Associations of REALTORS®:
- Dearborn Area Board of REALTORS®
- Detroit Association of REALTORS®
- Eastern Thumb Association of REALTORS®
- Greater Metropolitan Association of REALTORS®
- Grosse Pointe Board of REALTORS®
- Lapeer and Upper Thumb Association of REALTORS®
- Livingston County Association of REALTORS®
- North Oakland County Board of REALTORS®
The GLR is comprised of a group of MLSs and Realtor® Associations (participants) in Michigan that have agreed to share listing data with other participants using a repository method of sharing. Under this method of sharing data, all participants of the GLR run their own MLSs; enforce their own set of rules; manage their own membership; control their own MLS products, but cooperate by sharing data in one central location. The GLR shares offers of cooperation and compensation.”
For MCAR Members (and Hillsdale County Board of Realtors® who are also members of the GLR and are MichRIC members), our MLS data = Data you, our members put into FlexMLS, flow into the ‘pool of data’ known that the GLR. This pool gets gets MCAR (and Hillsdale) THOUSANDS more sets of eyes.
Unfortunately, at this time the GLR data is unable to flow back into your home MLS (FlexMLS). How you currently would log into the GLR would be through the generic username and password that is emailed out to you each month along with other usernames/passwords for other reciprocal agreements currently in place, but currently the GLR Member Associations are discussing using RPR as the vehicle to view each others data- STILL with offers of cooperation and compensation.